Sunday, November 30, 2014

Gobble, Our Thanksgiving Turkey

I made a couple of secret resolutions at the beginning of the year. I kept them to myself because I wasn't sure if they were even possible to fulfill. I wanted to move to a homestead in the country and I wanted to raise a turkey for our Thanksgiving meal. As you know, we made the move to the country. We also bought a few week-old turkeys at the beginning of the summer. All of our turkeys had names. We nurtured, enjoyed, and loved them until the day before Thanksgiving. Gobble, a bourbon red, was the turkey we chose for our Thanksgiving meal.
We did the harvesting and processing ourselves. It was cold. It was messy. The whole process took a while. Taking the life of an animal will always feel uncomfortable and it should be.
For the past few years we have known where our Thanksgiving turkey was coming from, but this year, that place was just outside our back door.


No comments:

Post a Comment